Community-based programs employ a field-based educational framework with a goal of integrating students as fully as possible into the daily life of the community. Students will study the local language as part of the program.
- Classes are with a small group of students from other colleges and universities in the US.
- Programs are based on a theme (e.g. Climate Change, Public Health, Human Rights, Education, etc.) and the classes are all connected to the theme..
- An interdisciplinary seminar provides cultural context to the program theme. The independent study project allows students to pursue research in an academic area of interest.
- Homestays, often in both urban and rural settings, provide a broad exposure to the culture.
- Students travel with the program group to encounter the richness of the local culture and investigate the program theme in rural and urban areas.