University-based programs allow Scripps students to enroll alongside local students in regular university classes. If English is not the primary language, students must have sufficient competency to do academic course work in the host language.
- The educational approach is different than is typical in a US classroom and students must adapt to the particular educational culture. There are typically fewer exams and less feedback as students are expected to be independent scholars. Grades may be based on one final exam or paper.
- Most universities are in urban locations with student populations ranging from 5,000 to 40,000 or larger.
- Students have a wide range of class options but not all classes are eligible for credit at Scripps and students get pre-approval of their courses from Scripps faculty as part of the application process
- Classes are with students from the host culture and other international students but are typically in large lecture classes. Involvement in extracurricular activities or clubs is the best way to engage with locals and make friends.
- Resident hall housing is not typical outside the US in most locations. Housing options vary depending on program location, for example:
- Universities in the UK typically have university managed housing in student residences that are scattered through out the city. Students commute to class by public transportation. Students typically shop for groceries and prepare their own meals with an allowance provided by Scripps
- Latin American university programs typically offer home stays with breakfast and dinner shared with the host family and an allowance for lunches provided by Scripps.and a commute to classes that may involve a 20 minute walk or public transportation.
- Other locations may have homestays or students may live in a foyer or in some sites, in a student residence - a basic housing arrangement for young adults from outside the area who are studying at universities around the city or working in the local area. Commutes by public transportation of up to 45 minutes would not be uncommon. It becomes just part of life in the particular location because most locals area doing the same. Meal allowances are provided by Scripps based on the amount recommended by the program. .